Descendants of George W. Hill
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE W. HILL was born September 04, 1834 in Stark County, Ohio, and died March 18, 1899 in Bethel, Michigan (Branch County). He married (1) SARAH LEWIS in Little Cooley, Pennsylvania. He married (2) MALINDA SWIHART July 04, 1860 in Little Cooley, Pennsylvania.
GEORGE W. HILL: When a young man, he moved with his family to Little Cooley, PA. There , he married Sarah Lewis to which two daughters were born. Polly died at birth and Marian, who later married Loren Bidwell of Little Cooley and later moved to Bronson, Michigan when her father moved to Michigan. Three years after the death of first wife, he married Malinda Swihart, the union to which Arden was born along with George M. and Dora, who died giving birth in 1918. He was converted when but 14 years of age, first uniting with the M.E. Church, later with the United .Brethren Church. George entered the ministry as a young man in Pennsylvania. When he moved to Michigan he served as Pastor of the United Brethren Church in Bethel until he died in 1889. He died of chronic Cystitis at 74 years, 6 months and 14 days. He is buried in East Gilead Cemetery.
Children of GEORGE HILL and SARAH LEWIS are:
i. POLLY HILL.
ii. MARIAN HILL.
Children of GEORGE HILL and MALINDA SWIHART are:
2. ARDEN SPENCER HILL, born June 28, 1870, Little Cooley, Pennsylvania; died September 15, 1915, Coldwater, Michigan.
iv. GEORGE M. HILL.
v. DORA A. HILL, born January 25, 1878, Bethel, Michigan; married DUANE A. TAYLOR January 25, 1908 in Coldwater, Michigan; died January 17, 1910 in Coldwater, Michigan.
Generation No. 2
2. ARDEN SPENCER HILL (GEORGE W.1) was born June 28, 1870 in Little Cooley, Pennsylvania, and died September 15, 1915 in Coldwater, Michigan. He married MAUDE MAE GRAVES February 23, 1897 in Bethel, Michigan, daughter of WILLIAM GRAVES and MARIAM BURGHDUFF.
ARDEN spent the first 10 years or so of his life in Little Cooley, then moved with the family to Bethel, Michigan in Branch County. After meeting and marrying Maude, they moved to Windsor, Ohio where Arden worked for Levi Hill in his cheese box business. While not substantiated, there is a belief that Levi may have been an Uncle or second cousin of Arden. Their son, LLOYD was born in Windsor Corners during this time. After 3 years they moved back to Coldwater, Michigan, to work for Pratt Manufacturing Company painting sled boards. He became the chief artist for Pratt designing many new patterns for sleds. His most famous design was a combination of roses and streping flowers. He did all the sled designs free hand. Unfortunately, the lead in the paint took its toll over the years and he died of a lung condition at the age of 45. When he became ill, the family rented a farm around 1911 on Jonesville Road so he could get fresh air. In 1915 they moved back to Coldwater to the home on Green St. where he died. He is buried in Batavia Cemetery.
MAUDE MAE GRAVES: As a young lady she was an elocutionist, and recited poems at entertainment events all over the immediate Branch County area. She became well known for her talents. Married to Arden in her parents home in Bethel. After moving back to Coldwater from Windsor, Ohio, she and Arden bought the home at 78 Green St. for $1800.00. She lived at 78 Green St. until 1948 when she bought the home on 25 Whitten Ave. and lived there until her death. She was in apparent good health until a stroke left her paralyzed for six months. Her daughter FERNE lived with her most of Maude's life at both locations. She lived 71 years. She is buried in Batavia Cemetery.
Children of ARDEN HILL and MAUDE GRAVES are:
3. LLOYD GRAVES HILL, born December 25, 1898, Windsor Corners, Ohio (Ashtabula County); died March 15, 1983, Coldwater, Michigan.
ii. MARIAM FERNE HILL, born December 22, 1901, Bethel, Michigan (Branch County); died January 05, 1975, Coldwater, Michigan. Ferne, as everyone knew her, was a very pretty girl, with long auburn hair curls. She was very popular in school, always the teachers "pet". She worked for many years as a receptionist for Dr. Walter Bein, Optometrist. She never married. She was in poor health much of her life, but always a cheerful, upbeat person. She paid a lot of attention to her many nephews and nieces. In later life, she worked in a rest home in Arlington Heights, Illinois, near Chicago. She retired from there and came back to Coldwater until her death on January 5, 1975. She lived 74 years.
iii. WILMA GRACE HILL, born June 18, 1907, Coldwater, Michigan; died December 23, 2007, Dayton, Ohio; she lived for 100 years, 6 months, 5 days. HER 100TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION WAS HELD IN JUNE 2007 IN COLDWATER, MICHIGAN. THE ONLY KNOWN CENTENARIAN IN THE MULTI-GENERATIONAL, MULTIPLE SURNAME CONNECTED FAMILIES OF ABBOTT, BURGHDUFF, GRAVES, HILL, HYLAND, & SWIHART.
iv. JESSIE VIOLA HILL, born November 07, 1909, Coldwater, Michigan; died June 26, 1991, Coldwater, Michigan.
2. GEORGE M. HILL (GEORGE W.1). Children of GEORGE M. HILL are:
3. DON HILL.
ii. DANE HILL, married VIVA.
iii. LEONA HILL
iv. GERTRUDE HILL, married AVON LUSE.
Generation No. 3
3. LLOYD GRAVES HILL (ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) was born December 25, 1898 in Windsor Corners, Ohio (Ashtabula County), and died March 15, 1983 in Coldwater, Michigan. He married HELEN LAFLER June 17, 1928 in Kinderhook, Michigan, daughter of HARRY LAFLER and NELLIE JONES.
LLOYD HILL: Lloyd had to leave school in 10th grade because of his father's death and to help take care of his mother and three younger sisters. He went to work for Flour Milling Company driving a truck at the age of 15. He never finished school but later in life went to night school where he was a whiz in mathematics - up through Advanced Calculus and Trigonometry. During this time, he became a skilled carpenter and cabinet maker. This led to another latent talent - architectural renderings of kitchens. He then began to design kitchens and build them for many of Coldwater's more prominent citizens. Some of his reputation led him out of town - for instance, he designed and built a new kitchen for the President of Hillsdale College, Dr. J. Donald Phillips. This had a later implication in the decision of his son, Richard, to attend Hillsdale College. After many years designing and building kitchens, Lloyd decided to work with Kerr Hardware as a clerk and tool buyer. His knowledge of power tools was surpassed by no one. A few years later he joined Moore Hardware as a buyer and stayed there until he retired at age 70. When he was in his twenties, he showed an artistic flair, probably inherited from his father, Arden. Lloyd became well known in Coldwater for his ability to design the window displays in all of the retail stores. Many years later, one can see this same innate talent in the work of his granddaughter, Sarah, as an accomplished Interior Designer in Ann Arbor. From Arden to Lloyd to Sarah. A case could be made that this lineage moved through his son, Richard, Sarah's father, who is an accomplished photographer, especially from a composition standpoint. Perhaps then from Arden to Lloyd to Richard to Sarah. In his late twenties, Lloyd became associated with a local jewelry firm and by 1928, he bought the former owners interest and the store became the Lloyd G. Hill Jewelry Store. Unfortunately, when the Great Depression hit in 1929, he was not yet established enough to sustain the business and lost it. During this same period of time, he was a member of the Michigan National Guard, where he started as a Bugler and worked his way through the ranks until he became a 1st Lieutenant in the 126th Infantry Division. A hard working man and a good provider for his family, Lloyd worked many different jobs during the lean years of the depression: a Timekeeper-State Road Commission in the construction of US 12; a coal truck driver for Pollack's Lumber; a truck driver for the Coldwater Diary and then a bus driver for Short Way Lines. Although Lloyd lived to age 84, he suffered for 7 long years with Alzheimer's and spent the final 2 years of his life in a nursing home when his wife could no longer care for him.
Children of LLOYD HILL and HELEN LAFLER are:
4. RICHARD LEE HILL
ii. PATRICIA JOANN HILL, born February 18, 1943, Coldwater, Michigan; d. August 03, 1987 Coldwater, Michigan
3. WILMA GRACE HILL (ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married WEIR G. HYLAND in Coldwater, Michigan, son of DELBERT HYLAND and MINA CAIN.
WILMA GRACE HILL: Wilma was the first Hill child born in the home at 78 Green St. in Coldwater, Michigan. She has many fond memories of growing up there as she related in a book she wrote at the tender age of 89 about the Hill and Hyland families. The book is entitled " Wilma and Weir and Family" and is registered in the Genealogy room at the Branch County Library. She graduated from Coldwater High School and prior to marriage, she worked for George Austin, a building contractor. After raising her family, she worked in the office at Federal Mogul where she retired in 1972. Over the years, Weir and Wilma and four children lived in many different homes and another of Wilma's many talents emerged. She was an accomplished Interior Decorator. Undoubtedly, this attribute flowed from her artistic father, Arden. Wilma was also recognized for her culinary skills and in fact, it has been said that she made the best lemon pie in the state of Michigan. She made a recipe book of special dishes as a gift to her grandchildren. Wilma was known as an extremely active and vibrant person right up to the end. She was still driving at the age of 97, albeit only making right turns so she wouldn't have to cross traffic. She was a 60 year devoted member of the First Presbyterian Church of Coldwater and deeply engaged with her family of four children, six grandchildren and twelve great grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren.
Children of WILMA HILL and WEIR HYLAND are:
4. NANCY LOU HYLAND
ii. MARYJO HYLAND
iii.THOMAS SPENCER HYLAND (WILMA GRACE HILL, ARDEN SPENCER, GEORGE W.) was born July 14, 1937 in Coldwater, Michigan, and died April 20, 2003 in Sturgis, Michigan. He is buried at the Fort Custer National Veterans Cemetery. He married PHYLIS FENNO in Coldwater, Michigan on December 6, 1969. Tom graduated from Coldwater High School and is a veteran of the U.S. Army during the Cold War. Tom and Phylis moved to Sturgis in 1972 were he worked many years as a fork-lift operator as well as employed in shipping and receiving. An avid fisherman, he also enjoyed garage sales and auctions and was an avid fan of MSU.
iv.TERRY LEE HYLAND
v. RICHARD WEIR HYLAND, born 1940, Coldwater, Michigan; died 1940, Coldwater, Michigan.
3. JESSIE VIOLA HILL (ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) was born November 07, 1909 in Coldwater, Michigan, and died June 26, 1991 in Coldwater, Michigan. She married (1) HARRY CLAAR 1930 in Coldwater, Michigan. She married (2) BRUCE MERRIS 1978 in Coldwater, Michigan.
JESSIE VIOLA HILL: Jessie was always very athletic and played on the Coldwater High School girls basketball team. She graduated with the class of 1928 and enrolled in Nurse's Training at Nichol's Hospital in Battle Creek were she received her RN. She practiced in the Obstetrics Ward in the Branch County Health Center for 37 years where for several of those years she was Head Nurse. She is fondly remembered by thousands of Branch County mothers. She married Harry Claar in 1930. To this union were born 2 children: Larry Dee Claar and Shirley Mae Claar. Larry was tragically killed July 4, 1968 in an Auto Race at Butler Speedway. Harry died in 1958. In July 1973, Jessie married Bruce Merris in Detroit. They moved to Jensen Beach, Florida where they lived for several years. Bruce died in September 1985. As her health began to fail, Jessie moved back to Michigan to be near her daughter, Shirley. Jessie died in Coldwater on June 26, 1991 and is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Coldwater. She lived 81 years.
Children of JESSIE HILL and HARRY CLAAR are:
4. LARRY DEE CLAAR, born December 05, 1934, Coldwater, Michigan; died July 04, 1968, Butler, Michigan; married COLEEN GRINNELL, May 20, 1956, Girard, Michigan.
ii. SHIRLEY MAE CLAAR
3. DON HILL (GEORGE M.2, GEORGE W.1). He married ALVA. Children of DON HILL and ALVA are:
4. MARY ELLEN HILL.
ii. ELOISE HILL.
3. LEONA HILL (GEORGE M.2, GEORGE W.1). She married HARRY SMITH. Children of LEONA HILL and HARRY SMITH are:
4. EDNA SMITH
ii. VIRGINIA SMITH
iii. WADE SMITH.
Generation No. 4
4. RICHARD LEE HILL (LLOYD GRAVES3, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married (1) MARY ELIZABETH WAY in Coldwater, Michigan, daughter of WAYNE WAY and DOROTHY LOCKWOOD. He married (2) MONICA LOUISE HELLNER in Ann Arbor, Michigan, daughter of ROBERT HELLNER and ELIZABETH WHEATON.
Children of RICHARD HILL and MARY WAY are:
i. DAVID STEPHEN HILL. David is the adopted son of Richard. David & Bryce May were partners for well over 20 years. Bryce, born on June 26, 1948 in Exira, Iowa, passed away on August 12, 2006.
5. MARTHA LOUISE HILL married JEFFERY HURLEY in Coldwater, Michigan.
iii. REBECCA SUSAN HILL married MICHAEL REED in Jonesville, Michigan.
iv. SARAH ANNE HILL married JAMES SETA in Gross Pointe Farms, Michigan.
Child of RICHARD HILL and MONICA HELLNER is:
v. JENNIFER ANN MILLER. Richard's Stepdaughter married PATRICK QUIGLEY in Ann Arbor, Michigan
4. NANCY LOU HYLAND (WILMA GRACE3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married JOHN W. BURTCH in Coldwater, Michigan.
Children of NANCY HYLAND and JOHN BURTCH are:
5. GARY WILLIAM BURTCH married FAYE HOFFER in Xenia, Ohio.
ii. STEVEN WEIR BURTCH married TAMMY FULLER in Xenia, Ohio.
iii. LYNN RENE' BURTCH married DONALD WELTY in Xenia, Ohio.
4. MARYJO HYLAND (WILMA GRACE3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married DARYL E. ALLEN in Coldwater, Michigan.
Children of MARYJO HYLAND and DARYL ALLEN are:
5. LISA LYNN ALLEN married PHILLIP WARNER.
ii. TANIS ALLEN married STEPHEN ROSOFF.
iii. CRAIG ALLEN
4. SHIRLEY MAE CLAAR (JESSIE VIOLA3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married JOSEPH ALBERT PALMATIER in Girard, Michigan.
Children of SHIRLEY CLAAR and JOSEPH PALMATIER are:
5. ERIC RICHARD PALMATIER married KELLY VOGT in Union City, Michigan.
ii. TAMRA SHAN PALMATIER married JAMES FOX in Coldwater, Michigan.
iii. MICHELLE DENICE PALMATIER married MARK OLMSTED in Kalmazoo, Michigan.
iv. RENEE' LYNET PALMATIER
Generation No. 5
5. MARTHA LOUISE HILL (RICHARD LEE4, LLOYD GRAVES3, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married JEFFERY HURLEY in Coldwater, Michigan.
Children of MARTHA HILL and JEFFERY HURLEY are:
6. MICHAEL CHRISTOPHER HURLEY
ii. ERIC ANTHONY HURLEY
5. REBECCA SUSAN HILL (RICHARD LEE4, LLOYD GRAVES3, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married MICHAEL REED in Jonesville, Michigan.
Children of REBECCA HILL and MICHAEL REED are:
6. ADAM MICHAEL REED
ii. JUSTIN LUCAS REED
5. SARAH ANNE HILL (RICHARD LEE4, LLOYD GRAVES3, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married JAMES SETA in Gross Pointe Farms, Michigan.
Child of SARAH HILL and JAMES SETA is:
6. OLIVIA CHRISTINE SETA
ii. JAMES VINCENT SETA
JENNIFER ANN MILLER (Monica Hill, Robert J. Hellner, Sr.) married PATRICK QUIGLEY in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Divorced. Married ANTHONY KOPACZ in Brooklyn, Michigan.
Child of JENNIFER MILLER and PATRICK QUIGLEY is:
i. TRENTON MERRITT MILLER QUIGLEY
JENNIFER ANN MILLER (Monica Hill, Robert J. Hellner, Sr.) married ANTHONY KOPACZ in Brooklyn, Michigan.
Child of JENNIFER MILLER and ANTHONY KOPACZ is:
ii. BLAKE ANTHONY KOPACZ
5. GARY WILLIAM BURTCH (NANCY LOU4 HYLAND, WILMA GRACE3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married FAYE HOFFER in Xenia, Ohio.
Children of GARY BURTCH and FAYE HOFFER are:
6. GARRETT BURTCH
ii. GRANT BURTCH
iii. MARIA BURTCH
5. LYNN RENE' BURTCH (NANCY LOU4 HYLAND, WILMA GRACE3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married DONALD WELTY in Xenia, Ohio.
Children of LYNN BURTCH and DONALD WELTY are:
6. SARAH WELTY
ii. RENE' WELTY
5. LISA LYNN ALLEN (MARYJO4 HYLAND, WILMA GRACE3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married PHILLIP WARNER.
Children of LISA ALLEN and PHILLIP WARNER are:
6. LINDSEY JO WARNER
ii. KATLYN ANN WARNER
iii. CURTIS ALLEN WARNER
iv. TY PHILLIP WARNER
5. ERIC RICHARD PALMATIER (SHIRLEY MAE4 CLAAR, JESSIE VIOLA3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married KELLY VOGT in Union City, Michigan.
Children of ERIC PALMATIER and KELLY VOGT are:
6. IAN JOSEPH PALMATIER
ii. ALLI ELIZABETH PALMATIER
5. TAMRA SHAN PALMATIER (SHIRLEY MAE4 CLAAR, JESSIE VIOLA3 HILL, ARDEN SPENCER2, GEORGE W.1) married JAMES FOX in Coldwater, Michigan.
Children of TAMRA PALMATIER and JAMES FOX are:
6. CAMERON JAMES FOX
ii. JORDAN MICHAEL FOXGeneration No. 6